Bromley-by-Bow gasworks produced gas here between 1873 and the 1960s on what had been a rocket factory. Seven of the eight Victorian gasometers, or gasholders, remain today, one having been destroyed by a bomb in World War Two. They are Grade II listed and were built for the Imperial Gas Light & Coke Company between 1872 and 1878 by the engineers Clark & Kirkham.
In 1876 Imperial merged with the older and more famous Chartered Gas Light & Coke Company, who also had a gasworks at Beckton.
Telescopic gasholders like this were first used in 1824, in Leeds. In 1918 women workers at Bromley-by-Bow took tea on top of one of these gasholders!
Click here for map