5) ABBEY MILLS
Abbey Mills is a Grade II listed pumping station built by Joseph Bazalgette in 1865–8. This masterpiece of Victorian public works engineering takes its name from watermills once on the site which belonged to Stratford Langthorne Abbey, a wealthy Cistercian monastery which existed here between 1134 and the dissolution of the monasteries in the 1530s.
Bazalgette's work ensured sewage was no longer dumped into the Thames, bringing an end to devastating cholera outbreaks in the city. His work is now thought to have saved more lives than the efforts of any other Victorian official.
The modern pumping station, designed by architects Allies and Morrison, is the silver building nearby.
Click here for map