11) bow porcelain
First established at Bow in 1744, The Bow China Works was one of the first in England to produce ‘bone china’, which was prized for its delicacy. The china works became so popular they were called ‘New Canton’.
By 1749 the factory moved to the Essex side of the Lea. In 1969 archaeologists found a number of its buildings between Sugar House Lane and Marshgate Lane. It used the by-product of the bones from the piggery associated with the gin mill and, at its peak, employed 300 people (including 90 painters), all living under one roof.
Click here for map